FUNDAMENTALS OF DEVELOPING RENEWABLE ENERGY PLANTS
SAIEE-1911-V, 2 CPD credits : Category 1
The continent of Africa is in an Energy crisis . The World Bank has declared 32 of the 48 nations on the continent to be in an energy crisis. Energy development has not kept pace with rising demand in developing regions, placing a large strain on the continent's existing resources over the first decade of the new century. The solution for Africa lies in Africa’s ability to find solutions to generate its own energy utilizing the abundant renewable energy sources that it has.
What the course will do?
The FUNDAMENTALS OF DEVELOPING RENEWABLE ENERGY PLANTS course will provide a comprehensive understanding of the different types of renewable energy sources and where they could best be applied in order to generate clean energy to power Africa’s appliances, homes, businesses and cities. The course also details the activities that need to be fulfilled in order to transform a renewable energy project from concept to construction then operation.
1. Challenges and Opportunities
2. Intro to Renewable Energy
3. TYPES OF RENEWABLE TECHNOLOGIES
a. Wind Power, Hydro Power, Bio Energy, Geothermal Power, Solar PV, Solar CSP, Solar CPV, Heat Pump, Tidal Energy
4. PROCESS FOR THE IMPLEMENT LARGE RE IPP PROJECTS
a. Marketing & Concept
b. Pre-Feasibility and Feasibility
c. Project Development
d. Legal & Contractual Framework & Funding
e. Detailed Design & Bidding for EPC
f. Engineering, Procurement & Construction including Contract Management
h. Operations, Maintenance & Monitoring
THE SOUTH AFRICAN INSTITUTE OF ELECTRICAL ENGINEERS
Fund managers looking to finance renewable energy plants
Individuals or groups looking to develop renewable energy projects
· Project managers that would like to understand opportunities in the renewable energy market
· Technical advisors or technical experts (engineers, technologists) and contractor that wish to play a role in the deployment of renewable energy plants.
· Legal firms that would like to understand the renewable energy space to assist in PPA, Land Agreements and Implementation Agreements (etc.).
COST : Non-Member R7,500, SAIEE Member R5,500 (incl. teas, lunches and course material)
*Note: If proof of payment is received before commencement of the course, the following rates will apply:
Non-member R6,750 ; SAIEE member R4,950.
COURSE DATE :
17 - 18 September 2019
SAIEE. 18A Gill ST, Observatory, JHB
Registration : 08:00 – 08:30
Workshop : 08:30 - 16:30 (est.)
Larry Khuvutlu completed his BSc in Electrical Engineering at the University of Cape Town in 2000.
In 2010 he founded PV Enterprises and is currently Executive Director. His career highlights in the Solar PV industry in South Africa includes:-
- developed a solar photovoltaic systems design training course aimed at electrical engineering professionals
- PV Enterprises trained over 700 engineers on the design of solar photovoltaic systems
- Construction Supervision of 30MW solar PV system for Astro Group SRL at the Solar Capital De Aar 1 project.
He is also pro-electrical engineering; for over a decade now he has been servicing on the regional and national structures of the South African Institute of Electrical Engineers on a voluntary basis.